[HPADM] D 390 server - Network connection to new switch port from old switch port

From: balaji nathan (balajinathan2002@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 09:48:18 EDT

Admins,
We were in the process of upgrading our network
backbone.

This D class server needs to be moved to new Cisco
6513 port (10/100/1000 port)from old 5500 switch port.

Port speed and duplex are same in the new 6513 port (
I matched with old 5500 port configuration)
Speed 100, full duplex.

When I moved the cable from 5500 into 6513 port, there
was a network connction problem. This server becomes
unavailable on the network. I could not ping the
gateway. (error message on the unix server console:
HP hsc 10/100 base - T driver detected bad cable
connection between the adopter in slot 0 and the
hub/switch).

Because of this network connectivity issue, I moved
the cable BACK to old 5500 port, then it becomes
available on the network.

Is there any reboot required after switching the cable
form one switch port into another switch port.

Please help.
Regards,
Balaji