[HPADM] NFS Swapon at boot?

From: Daniel H. Brown (brown@brauhausdc.org)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 09:43:34 EDT

Without debating the relative lack of sanity in doing paging over NFS [1],
What's the best way to have an NFS filesystem swap area activated at boot
time? I've tried various incantations based on the the examples noted in
the fstab 4 manpage, but have yet to find one that doesn't give me a
"device not found" error. Yes, the fstab entries were placed /after/ the
nfsmount entry for the directory I'm trying to use. Further, I can, after
the machine is booted and the NFS directory is mounted, do by hand:

swapon -m 10 -l 0 -r 100 -p 0 /vx00/paging/

where I have and it works.

Sam doesn't appear to want to add a file system swap on top of an NFS
directory -- it doesn't even list the nfs mount in the choices of where
I can add swap.

[1] The short answer on /why/ I want to do this is we are losing a fiber
channel connected array but haven't gotten the replacement setup yet. We
have a bunch of space available on a Netapp as an interim solution. What
to do for swap space is the only thing I haven't quite gotten figured out
yet. The machines don't actually do any swapping, but seem to like to have
as much swap as they have memory (32g) available to reserve. If there are
other configs I could tweak (pseudo swap is turned on) that would let me
have machines with 32g of core and only 4g of swap, on a temporary basis,
I'm all ears. Adding new scsi harddrives isn't really option.

Thanks.
Dan.

--
Dan Brown