[HPADM] RE: -SUMMARY- Quarterly Patch Installation

From: Naylor, Jim (Jnaylor@Schnucks.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 10:17:47 EDT

Thanks for the following suggestions:

David Lodge:
Install applications and then the patches - otherwise it won't install the
patches for the applications...

Though I'd only upgrade applications if I need to - eg bugs, security flaws
etc...

Bill Hassel:
I always install the hardware patches first.
It's a smaller set and I can see if the patches
work OK after a reboot much faster that way

Thomas Liber:
Do the Apps first, then the patches. Otherwise the Applications will not get
the patches that apply to them.

Craig Johnsom:
Best to install the patches first, unless you are installing a NEW
application. In that case, install the app first then the patches. Of
course, the app could require a patch you don't have....this goes on and on.
Classic catch 22.

Thanks Again,

Jim Naylor
Unix Systems Administrator