[HPADM] RE: Teaming of NIC (Summary)

From: Anand Hotchandani (anand.hotchandani@wipro.com)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2002 - 02:42:25 EDT

Hi,

Thanks to all following Admins for their valuable information.

Singaravelu
Dinesh
Jim
Alan Riggs
Tom
Brad Barton
-Alan

The product you are looking for is called "Auto-Port Aggregation" from HP.
It shares as few as two or as many as eight LAN interfaces as a single
"logical" interface. The client load is balanced by one of several
algorithms, which you can choose. You can drop all but one LAN port and it
will keep the virtual interface up and serving all the clients. Ports will
automatically rejoin the aggregate when they come back up.

Caveat: This requires configuration on your network ethernet switch. I know
that it is supported by Cisco, as "trunking" but all the ports have to be
adjacent on the switch (the HP server doesn't care about which interfaces
are on what cards).

It's called 'Auto Port Aggregation' software and
is available from HP for about $1,000.00. I installed
it on an N-Class last year, very easy to install.

Regards
Anand Hotchandani