[HPADM] Copied data larger than source?

From: Kevin Davisson (kdavis@woodward.com)
Date: Mon Sep 23 2002 - 09:59:22 EDT

HP Admins,
  Spent a looooong Sunday working on an L2000 (latest patches, replace Fibre
Channel card, new F/C driver, etc). It was a combination effort to resolve
I/O problems to the external array along with adding an additional 80GB LUN
to the array. Hardware and software all went pretty well. To test the I/O,
we copied around 40GB of data onto the new LUN. I/O problem seems to be
solved, but a quick "bdf" has me mystified:

SOURCE
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vgfc4/lvol2 50700288 41774288 8856616 83% /fcc2

TARGET
Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on
/dev/vgfc6/lvol1 89579520 60481168 28871072 68% /fcc3

Why does "bdf" show that the copied data occupies nearly 60GB of disk, when
the source was only using 40GB??? I thought something might be wrong with
the cpio command I used to copy the data, so I blew it away and restored
from tape backup - SAME RESULT.

OK, maybe I'm brain-dead after my 20 hour day - can someone please point me
to the cause/solution....?
Respectfully,
Kevin M Davisson
Information Technology Dept.
Woodward Aircraft Engine Systems
PH# 815-639-6272

***
The information in this e-mail is confidential and intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify the sender by return e-mail, delete this
e-mail, and refrain from any disclosure or action based on the information.
****