[HPADM] Moving volume groups and logical volumes

From: Ronelle Van Niekerk (rvanniek@ecgd.gov.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 10 2002 - 06:44:37 EDT

Hi guys,

We are trying to decrease the number of disks on our systems while
increasing the disk space so we are buying bigger disks and trying to
replace all our smaller ones - these include 2, 4.5, 9 and 18 gig disks.

How do we go about moving the volume groups to the newer disks?
Our problem is that since the beginning - many years ago - the system
administrators have gotten into the habit of creating a new volume group
per disk - don't know why. So now we have a lot of volume groups that
are 4.5, 9 and 18 gigs big. I want to join some of those and move them
on to the new disks.
So it's not as simple as adding the new disk to the volume group and
moving the data across to it.
We also have a large number of sybase RAW filesystems on these volume
groups.
I'm trying to find a way to do this as fast and effeciently as possible
because we will have to do about 4 systems over one weekend.
The rootvg will not be involved, we are leaving them on their smaller
disks.

So my question is:
How would you go about this?

Is there an easy way with UNIX commands or do we have to backup,
reconfigure and restore?

TIA
Ronelle van Niekerk

the system manager.