[HPADM] Summary: Oracle problem

From: KRASTEV Zdravko (zdravko.krastev@eurocontrol.int)
Date: Fri Aug 30 2002 - 12:10:31 EDT

Thanks to:
Lee J Kendrick
Rita Workman
Duncan, Jay
Rick Greene

1. The common explanation was that the shared memory is fragmented. In order
to de-fragment the memory a reboot, or at least to stop all oracle processes
and then restart.
This assumption was correct - after consulting with the DBA's it seems that
this particular Database would require 250MB of contiguous shared memory.

2. One additional obstacle according to my investigations seems to be that
32-bit application share a common shared memory pool 1.75 GB:
HP-UX has limitations for shared resources on 32-bit applications. All
applications in the system are limited to a total of 1.75 GB of shared
memory,
Release Notes for HP-UX 11.0 Additional Core Enhancements, November 1999
HP 9000 Computers
HP Part Number:B3782-90807
E1199
Copyright 1999 Hewlett-Packard Company

because of that it seems to me better to reboot, in order to clean the
complete shared memory.
Thank you list :o) You are great as usual!
Zdravko

Here is my question: