[HPADM] Re: HP 9000 Series 300 revival (maybe a bit OT)

From: Rumi Szabolcs (rumi_ml@rtfm.hu)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 16:34:38 EDT

Hello!

Well, I got a couple of emails with the same comments so
I have chosen to write to the list to make some things
clear for all the interested people at once:

1.) This machine lacks an MMU, so NetBSD/hp300 does not
run on it. BTW I regard this machine as some kind of
vintage "treasure" so I don't want to make it really
usable (this is what NetBSD can be used for on similar
old machines). I just want to make it work with its
original, genuine operating system, "just for fun" if
you want to call it like that.

2.) This machine _does_ run HP-UX, believe it or not.
To tell the truth, there is a HP-UX actually installed
and running on it! I just didn't got the root password
with the box (saved it right from beside the trashcan)
and I was unable to break into it by the means available
to me.

FYI, I made a webpage with the current status of the
project, and I'm planning to extend that later with
more information and photos of the system, if I succeed
to fully take control over it.

http://paranoia.rulez.org/~rumi/hp310.html

>From the above you can see what I really need: floppy
images. Either a bootable system floppy I could at
least mount the filesystem with and remove the root
password, or a set of HP-UX install floppies I could
reinstall the whole system with.

Thanks for the useful comments to everyone!

Regards,

Szabolcs Rumi

-