[HPADM] Re: Difficult time with lpsched-SUMMARY

From: Anil Rajapure (anil_unix1975@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 09:41:49 EDT

Many many thanks to all those replied.
Most of them suggested to check permissions. I could figure out the problem with
permissions on /var/adm/lp directory and then problem was resolved.
Following are the replies I recived.
swverify -v -x autoselect_dependencies=false PrinterMgmt ---- Lee J Kendrick
Dimitri A.
Visu --- Check from SAM
Use sam to restore printer configurations: sam -> printer -> lp spooler -> save / restore configurations -> actions -> restore configurations Guo Hang
 Bill Hassell
wrote:Hi,

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:30:42 -0700 (PDT) Anil Rajapure
wrote:

> I am trying to start lpsched on L class macine
> running 11.11.
> When I say lpshut it says lpsched not running
> and when I start with lpsched
> it says scheduler is running, but It never
> startes. I could not see it with ps -aef|grep
> lpsch command.
> I tried removing /var/spool/lp/SCHEDLOCK &
> FIFO file, but that did not help.
> I als tried sched -v, but the log file
> /var/adm/lp/log does't get created.
> The permissions on /var/spool/lp are 777.
> What could be the problem?
> What else do I need to check.(permissions etc?)

Start by reading the man pages for ps..you will get a lot better results by
not using grep and letting ps find your processes. To see all the lp proceses
that are running, use:

ps -fu lp

To find the exact process named lpsched:

UNIX95= ps -fC lpsched

(UNIX95= turns on special XPG4 behavior in ps)

The permissions on *ANY* system directory must never be 777. I realize that
this was an attempt to make it work but often these permissions are left that
way and your system will everntually be compromised. The correct permissions
are: 755, owned by lp:bin.

Now if ps -fu lp fails to show any processes for lp, and you've removed
SCHEDLOCK and FIFO without any getting lpsched to start probably means either
missing files or permissions and ownerships are messed up. If you have a
working HP-UX system at the same rev, get a permissions/ownership list from
these directories and match them:

/var/spool/lp/*
/var/adm/lp/*
/etc/lp/*
/usr/lib/lp/*

Also make sure you match the parent directory permissions with:

ll -d /var/spool/lp /var/adm/lp
ll -d /etc/lp /usr/lib/lp

Open permissions (777 and 666) are big red flags that the system has been
compromised or soon will be.

--
Shortsig: Those that haven't lost any data are going to.
Bill Hassell