[HPADM] HP-UX Public Domain software

From: Paul van Westerlaak (Paul.van.Westerlaak@rivm.nl)
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 04:01:03 EDT

Hi Admins,

Sorry about the preceding mail. It escaped while I wasn't looking :-)
It should have contained this text (it's a bit long I'm afraid):

While trying to upgrade from Perl 5.004 to 5.6.1 (or better) I came across
some annoying details.
First I downloaded Perl 5.6.1 form http://www.software.hp.com .No problems
installing or running it, but when I tried to add extra modules they
couldn't be installed because they needed the GNU gcc compiler. I delved a
bit deeper into this and came up with the following:

The Perl 5.6.1 binary from HP is built with the GNU gcc compiler. As the
Perl installer gets in information from the Perl core installation (cc
='gcc' in the Config.pm file) all extra modules default to this compiler
too, so you have to install gcc to add modules.
This depot installs in /opt/perl, the traditional place to put extra
software.

The Perl 5.6.1 and 5.8 binaries from the HP-UX Porting and Archive Center
are built using the HP C compiler (cc='cc' in Config.pm)
This depot installs in /usr/local, the Linux place to put extra software.

>From the information on the HP-UX Porting and Archive Center I learned that
all new ports will be moved closer to the Linux standard. This means using
the GNU tools (gcc, g++, gmake, bison, flex etc.) and installing in
/usr/local. This seems to be the way the HP DSPP (Developer and Solution
Partner Portal) site ( http://www.hp.com/dspp) builds their packages.

This means that I have to switch to the GNU toolchain, which involves
compiling the gcc compiler from scratch as the binary version on the
Archive Center only works on HP-UX 11.0 and 11.20 (Itanium) and not on
HP-UX 11.11 (a.k.a. 11i), and take a close look at the size of the /usr
filesystem.

After all this my question is: what can I expect in the future?
Will the default location for extra software in HP-UX switch from /opt to
/usr/local or will /usr/local only be used for public domian stuff and am I
stuck with two locations for optional packages?
What's the status of the GNU C compiler in HP-UX as HP itself is releasing
software that's built with it?

Cheers

Paul