[HPADM] Tuning semmni

From: Eric Watson (ewatson@law.harvard.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 09:02:21 EDT

Hardware: K570, 6 processor, 4gb RAM
O/S: Well patched 10.20
Application: OpenMail 6.0

Recently I noticed an alarm in Glance. Investigation showed that the
semaphore table (semmni) was nearly full, with 23 out of 25 entries used.
It seemed that it would be a good idea to increase this parameter.

I checked with HP on what to set it to. HP recommended doubling, from 25 to
50. semmns is set to 512. HP said not to make semmni too big as there
would be a performance hit.

It's important to note that I really don't understand kernel tuning all that
well.

So, I rebuilt the kernel and rebooted. All is well. This is the question:
should I really have doubled this parameter, or should I have increased more
slowly, say to 30 or 35 at first? Load is low now, but students return next
week and this machine really takes a beating.

Eric

Eric P. Watson
Manager of System Administration
  Services