[HPADM] Summary: Hot Plug Fibre

From: Justin Willoughby (jwilloug@mhc.net)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 15:46:08 EDT

All the replies I received indicated that I should have no issues connecting my K570 to our fibre switches while everything is up and running.

I called HP and they said the same thing. The guy I spoke with at HP did verify that the A6685A does support fabric-logon so that should not be an issue. I have included John's reply below because it notes possible issues with arbitrated-loop. I am hoping we do not end up using arbitrated-loop and thus do not need to worry about this.

- Justin

==================
 Justin Willoughby
 Computer Operations
==================

>>> "Adams, John" <John.Adams@molex.com> 08/01/02 11:39AM >>>

Justin,

I've hot-plugged fibre into K, L, N, and V class kit, and there are a couple gotchas with older (K and V) kit.

First, are you using fabric-logon or arbitrated-loop architecture? I don't recall fabric-logon being available on the K platform, but we've since replaced our K boxen, so my knowlege is out of date. If you're using fabric-logon, then you've got no problems.

If you're using loop, then plugging your K into your switch will cause a "LIP" (Loop Initialise Packet) to be sent. This also happens on boot. It causes all the other HBAs (Host Bus Adapters) in the "loop" to pause while the loop reinitialises, and depending on the number of LIPs at any one time, can cause Brocade switches to hang. Depending on the model and zones, this can be avoided. Talk to your vendor about how to configure before plugging in.

This is why fabric is rapidly replacing loop...

Good luck!

jadams@molex.com
jadams@despammed.com