[HPADM] gunzip -c file.tgz | tar xvf - == lost files!

From: Ed (hpux-admin@bluepolka.net)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 18:59:39 EDT

Hi All,

I have a mystery for the curious on some unexpected behavior of gunzip and
tar when pipelined. I have a directory 'mydir' with a number of subdirs
under it. When I "package" the dir as follows...

        tar cvf - mydir | gzip -c > mydir.tgz

...I can see all files being appropriately added to the output file.
However, when I unpack them as follows...

        gunzip -c mydir.tgz | tar xvf -

...there are a number of missing subdirectories. I have found a workaround
by breaking the tar and the gzip/gunzip steps into separate commands, but I'm
curious to know if anyone can explain this. This process has worked fine
until I noticed this today, AFAIK.

Thx in advance. -Ed

My config:

% uname -a