[HPADM] Summary: MC/Service Guard Upgrade Issues

From: Justin Willoughby (jwilloug@mhc.net)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 08:24:30 EDT

It seems my problem was that the primary and fail-over network cards could not talk to themselves via the network. I could configure both with an IP address and connect to either from my workstation but they could not talk to each other. The guy from HP said they should be able to. He said at one point they likely could. This was verified by the linkloop command.

To get past this I simply used a cross-over network cable to connected the primary and fail-over network cards (lan3 and lan2) and then the MC/SG binary was upgraded without a problem with the convert command (the linkloop command also worked fine). After I upgraded the binary I reconnected Lan3 and Lan2 as they were before.

Very strange problem. I am going to make sure that Lan3 can fail-over to Lan2 today.

- Justin

==================
 Justin Willoughby
 Computer Operations
==================

>>> "Justin Willoughby" <jwilloug@mhc.net> 07/26/02 02:23PM >>>

I am still working though this issue.

The guy from HP thinks this happens because I am doing a cold install instead a in-place. He thinks the issue is that the NM ID of the NICs changed. Any one ever change the NM ID of NICs in HP/UX? The guy from HP is going to try and see if it's possible.

- Justin

==================
 Justin Willoughby
 Computer Operations
==================

>>> "Justin Willoughby" <jwilloug@mhc.net> 07/26/02 10:55AM >>>

I am upgrading MC/Service Guard and the convert command is giving me issues, I am upgrading to 11.14. convert says one of the NICs does not exists but it does and I can configure it manually. Anyone seen this error before and what to do about it? I have placed a call to HP but I figured I would see if any of you had any idea what might be going on! Thanks,

# convert -f /etc/cmcluster/cmclconfig
NOTE: Executing the conversion tool.
NOTE: MC/ServiceGuard binary config file is an older version,
. needs to update to the latest version of SG 11.08.
       * Configuration file $SGCONF/cmclconfig from caiback has old 10.10
         configuration information. The configuration file must be
         converted before it can be used on the local node.
       * Configuration file /etc/cmcluster/cmclconfig from caiback has
         old 10.10 configuration information. The configuration file must
         be converted before it can be used on the local node.
ERROR: Network interface at '10/4/4.1' was a standby lan. It either
                  no longer exists on the current system, or is not physically
                  connected to a primary lan.
ERROR: Unable to convert lan interface data.