[HPADM] RE: Cracking trusted passwords

From: Lodge, David (David.Lodge@capitalone.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:25:39 EDT

> - Do you know if c50a standard algorithm (I believe that it is taken
> from libdes) is compatible with trusted mode passwords (HP-UX 11).

Yes it is - HP encrypts the passwords in blocks of 8 characters - using the
standard Unix encryption technique (aka crypt) - But c50a will only decrypt
the first 8 characters of the password.

> - Is there any other way do it (something different than, old
> well-known Alec Muffett's crack)?

I'm currently evaluating 'John the Ripper' for a similar purpose - which
seems to have good and fast success rates (around 200,000 crypts/s on my
1.4G P4 Linux box)

Mangling the u_pwd file with /etc/passwd is actually very easy - I did write
a shell script to do this once; but have lost it; essentially its:

awk -F ':' {print $1} /etc/passwd |
while read user
do
   typeset -L1 I=${user}
   Password=$(awk -F = 'BEGIN { RS=":" } $1 == u_pwd { print $2 })
/tcb/auth/files/${i}/${user})
   grep "^${user}" /etc/passwd | sed "s/\*/${Password}/"
done

HTH

dave