[HPADM] Cracking trusted passwords

From: Artur Pioro (arpi@uj.edu.pl)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 08:03:59 EDT

Hello,

I suspect that users on my system do have silly passwords (which may
be guessed for example with knowledge of their personal details --
family, birth dates and so on). Since user account security is rather
crucial within this system I would like to check them. It would not be
problem in case of standard /etc/passwd. However this system runs in
trusted mode and keeps passwords in files under /tcb/files/auth/*. As
root I am able to read these files, extract u_pwd fields, and put them
into standard passwd format to use crack on them. However I fear, that
not only the place of encrypted passwords is changed, but also
encoding algorithm (to allow longer passwords) and crack I use (c50a)
will not work (at least without digging in it's encryption
method). What is worse I wont learn about it -- it simply will not
reveal any passwords even if the are crackable...

So my question is:

- Do you know if c50a standard algorithm (I believe that it is taken
  from libdes) is compatible with trusted mode passwords (HP-UX 11).
- If not -- Do you know about any encryption -- plugin for that
  algorithm. I can't run crack in mode which uses HP-UX system
  library, since I can run it only on different system (Solaris).
- Is there any other way do it (something different than, old
  well-known Alec Muffett's crack)?

Regards,

-- Artur Pioro