[HPADM] Changing SCSI addresses of FC60/SC10: Summary

From: Eric Watson (ewatson@law.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 08:33:44 EDT

Thanks to the two respondents - Bill Hassel and John Adams. To summarize, I
basically got it right except for I should create a map file with the "-s
option" when I vgexport, and use the map file when recreating the volume
group. I also need to take into account /etc/lvmpvg, which I do use for
vg02. Also, I need to delete the old device files when done, preferably
using "rmsf -H".

>From Bill:

"Correct. To save some time, specify a mapfile *and* the -s option
which is very cryptically described in the man page. It simply add
the LVM serial number to the mapfile which means that vgimport is
quite simple--no need to specify the new device files as the disks
will be scanned and added to the volume group.

As always with major changes, do a full backup of vg02 and just to
make sure, run make_tape_recovery too."

>From John:

"The map file is just a table, containing the logical volume number and
"name", and really only matters if you've named any of your LVs; if you've
accepted the default "lvol1, lvol2" it should import just fine. I recommend
it anyway, every once in a while you'll find that the previous admin got
"creative" and you'll have two filesystems mount backwards.

Also, if your system has an /etc/lvmpvg file, you may want to make a copy
before the export then edit it back into place after the import. May be
faster than fiddling with the vgimport bits. /etc/lvmpvg is where the
"physical volume group" lives, and is really only needed if you do mirroring
at the logical volume level. Odds are, you won't even have one, but if you
do it'll need "cleaning"."

Eric

Eric P. Watson
Supervisor of System Administration