[HPADM] Question : slow performance using host-based-mirroring over two c omputer centers

From: Haessner, Roland (Roland.Haessner@t-systems.com)
Date: Thu Jul 04 2002 - 00:50:36 EDT

Hi admins :-)

We have some performance problem using host-based-mirroring over two
computer centers.

We have two data centers, in each there is a L-Class HPUX11.i, two Brocade
FC-switches and one VA7100. Between the switches there are two
InterSwitchLinks, so each server can also 'see' the storage in the other
data center. Using LVM host-based-mirroring for an shared oracle volumegroup
(rawdevices) we got a two cell ServiceGuard-Cluster with
Oracle-Parallel-Server functionality.

But now we discovered a slow io rate during LVM-mirroring. A simple file
creating using dd-command needs much more time (times 4) on mirrored disks
than on the local disks ! And it is hard to discuss this with angry
application people. So my question to you : do you have any suggestions or
ideas where to look ? Which parameters to change ? How to increase
performance ? How to get more detailed infos where exactly we got the
problem ? What to change in hardware ?

Any information is welcome ! Thanks for your answers to my mail, i will
summarize as soon as possible !

Thanks,
An admin in trouble
Roland