[HPADM] extendfs problem when extending existing logical volume:

From: Helfenbein, Henry (Henry.Helfenbein@sanmina-sci.com)
Date: Wed Jul 03 2002 - 18:05:45 EDT

Hello HP Admins:

I have a K420 server, 10.20, it's a NIS master and NFS Server, an EMC
Symmetrix 3430 is attached to it via SCSI. I have an existing 38.8 GB HFS
Logical Volume that I have tried to grow to 69 GB. The "vgextend" completed
successfully: I see the Total Physical Extents have increased to 17,248(x 4
MB extents = 68,992 GB) and I also see the new physical devices added to the
list of Physical Volumes when I do a "vgdisplay -v". I see all the
extents/HDD's when I do an "lvdisplay -v" as well.

But here's the problem: when I try to "extendfs", the command seems to be
doing everything correctly until the very end, when the command hangs (quits
producing and does not go any further. I eventually have to Ctrl-C to kill
the "extendfs" command and consequently there is no change in "bdf" output
afterwards. I must admit that this system has had very little (almost no
patching) but with no problems EVER, that is until now. HP Support sent me
the two December, 2001 Support Plus archive CD's and strongly suggests
patching, but I'm not a strong patch advocate. I've tried to find an
individual patch for this type of problem and came upon PHCO_18837 [s700_800
10.20 cumulative extendfs_hfs(1M) patch], but I don't get the error messages
like those displayed under the Symptoms section.

Has anyone run into this problem in the past? Any solutions or suggestions
(without flaming me on the lack of patching) would really be appreciated,
;).

Thanks in advance, and I will of course summarize,
Henry Helfenbein