Re: Multiple Routing Tables

From: dballester@KERNPHARMA.COM
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 07:11:55 EST

Hi:

      About iproute2 under Linux.

      iproute2 is standard on linux boxes Bill, but doesn't exists a
program called 'iproute2', exists a set of programs that conforms iproute2.
In your RedHat and Suse try to execute as root 'ip route list table main'
if you see your routing rules, you are using ione of the iproute2 programs
;).

      Well, iproute2, among another interesting things is capable of change
routing rules 'in the fly' depending on some particular characteristics
from source of packet, destination, type, flags in the packet...

      You can create a list of applicable routing policies. In other words,
normaly you create a set of routing rules and a default gateway in your
machine, this rules are applied to all of the packets that goes across the
machine, but for an special machine could be desirable to change any of the
rules for another ones. In this case, using iproute2 set, you can create
differents sets of rules and depending on your decision, apply one or
another set.

If you wanna know more about iproute2 you can read the excelent free doc
'Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO' by Bert Hubert and others,
search google, dorry but i don't have here a link to give you.

HTH

Regards

David Ballester Montolio
Responsable de Sistemas y Comunicaciones
Kern Pharma, S.L.
www.kernpharma.com

GNU!

| | Bill Thompson |