problem with filesystems

From: Nguyen, Joseph (JNguyen@WM.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 11:40:36 EST

If you see a similar problem and have a fix for it, please reply. I open a
case to IBM and am awaiting for them to analyze the snap file.

We are experiencing problem with mv / umount / du commands on filesystems
that reside on shark storage. When DBAs copy/move files from one filesystem
/A to filesystem /B, the command was hang and cannot be killed, even with
-9. We attempted to umount filesystem /A, but the umount command also hang.

Last night DBA performed coldbackup of a database using the cp command to
copy from filesystems /A, /B, /C, /D to filesystem /E. When DBA ran du
command on filesystem /E, it appeared to lock up the kernel and stopped the
cp command activity. I cannot neither kill cp nor du command; I cannot
umount filesystem /E. I cannot reboot the box with shutdown/reboot
commands. I was forced to press the power button to reboot.

AIX 5.1 ML04
fiber 6228 with devices.pci.df1000f7.com 5.1.0.58
fiber 6239 with devices.pci.df1080f9.rte 5.1.0.0
shark 2105-F20, 2105-800
S85, P690

Joseph