Re: Combining variables

From: Jason Alburger (jason.ctr.alburger@FAA.GOV)
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 11:08:02 EST

Why not just use subscripts?

ie...

#! /bin/ksh

PARM[0]=hello
PARM[1]=world

ZERO=0
ONE=1

echo ${PARM[$ZERO]}
echo ${PARM[$ONE]}

Jason Alburger
609-485-7225
CPDLC Engineer
Joseph Sheairs Associates, Inc.
FAA/AOS-330

                      Raj Atwal
                      <atwalrs@YAHOO.CO To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      M> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Subject: Re: Combining variables
                      Discussion List
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      03/18/2004 10:47
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Sorry guys...perhaps I didn't explain it well enough. Let me try again...

If I have three parameters in a script thus:

PARM1=hello
PARM2=world
PARM3=bye

and I now build a for loop to echo the values

for i in 1 2 3
do
echo PARM$i (this is where I am stuck)
done

When I run the script I would want to see

hello
world
bye

instead of

PARM1
PARM2
PARM3

Hope that is clearer. I am stuck figuring out how to expand the PARM# into
the variable's actually value.

TIA

JOSEPH KREMBLAS <JKREMBLAS@REDHEARTGIFTS.COM> wrote:
 PARM10=hello
 AZ=10

 echo ${PARM10}${AZ}

 Note: Notice the braces around the variable name.