Re: Printing

From: Bruce Whittaker (bwhittak@ENERGY.COM.AU)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2004 - 17:57:27 EST

H Darryl,

I actually think that what it is doing is fair enough. The windows print
server is hung and is not able to accept jobs from anywhere. So AIX marks
the queue as being down because it can't deliver the job - if this was a
physical printer this would be a good hint that you had something to fix
(or to refill the paper tray *grin*).

We used to have the same issue as you so and it was mostly caused by
people playing with or "servicing" the print server (who of course assume
that it won't affect anyone else - so why tell them ?). We now bypass the
print server and talk directly to the printers. By cutting out that
intermediate layer we now have very very few issues.

If this is causing issues for you, probably the easiest way around it is
to write a crontab script to periodically check if any of the queues are
down and if so - bring them back up.

Bruce Whittaker,
CASS Support,

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return
e-mail and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected
your business contact details for dealing with you in your business
capacity. More information about how we handle your personal information,
including your right of access is contained at http://www.energy.com.au.

Darryl Ousterhout <D.Ousterhout@LABSAFETY.COM>
Sent by: IBM AIX Discussion List <aix-l@Princeton.EDU>
18/03/2004 06:58
Please respond to IBM AIX Discussion List