Re: HACMP upgrades

From: Jason delaFuente (jason.delafuente@GBE.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2004 - 15:02:01 EST

According to the IBM documentation I've read you can upgrade HA (at least 4.5 to 5.1) one machine at a time but it is recommended that you NOT leave the cluster running like that for very long. If you use the following link it should contain all of the information that you need to know.

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/pseries/library/hacmp_docs.html

When we have upgraded our clusters we do everything at once so that we do not have to run a mixed environment. Given the complexity of HACMP I would personally always try and upgrade both systems at the same time.

There is one gotcha we ran into when doing a 4.5 to 5.1 HACMP upgrade.
Although the upgrade completed normally the ODM entry that contained the version number did not get incremented correctly. As a result HACMP thought that it was still being upgraded whenever we tried to do anything. IBM had no idea why this happened although the support person I talked to had seen it before.

cd /etc/objrepos
odmget HACMPcluster > <file>
edit file with correct version number
odmdelete -o HACMPcluster -q cluster_version="5"
odmadd <file from step 2>
find /usr -name *.esmig
remove everything that the find command finds, just one file in this case

In our case when we went to HACMP 5.1 the cluster_version was supposed to be updated to 6.

Jason de la Fuente

>>> rick.renison@EDS.COM 03/11/04 01:37PM >>>
HACMP levels must be the same on all nodes in a cluster.

Rick Renison, EDS Canada, DuSC, Oshawa, Ontario
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
* mailto:rick.renison@eds.com