NFS/AFS/PPRC ?

From: Jason delaFuente (jason.delafuente@GBE.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 15:34:35 EST

It seems a number of you have Sharks so I thought this would be a good place to check...

We currently have two F20 ESS Disk Subsystems in separate geographic locations. We have about 4 16GB LUNS that we have setup to synchronize through ESS Copy Services. All of these LUNS are in one Volume Group and make up one filesystem. We have PPRC setup to only sync track differences. The filesystem that resides on these disks is where our DB duplicate archive logs get written to. When FilesystemA at LocationA fills up to a certain point we break the pprc link and mount the "copy" of FilesystemA at LocationB. From that point we do some oracle work and delete the files on the source drives when we are finished with them. The last thing we do is restart the sync.

The problem that we are having is that occasionally some files do not get copied over. You can see the file on the source filesystem but when you try to sync it Copy Services does not recognize it as a track difference even though the file is not there when you 'ls' the destination side.

My first question is...Has anyone else ran into similar issues using Copy Services.

My second question....I am investigating the possibility of using an NFS type solution to do the same thing. I understand that NFS over the WAN is not secure. I have heard that AFS with Kerberos is a secure alternative but difficult to setup. Has anyone used this type of setup or know of another alternative for your basic NFS?

Thanks!

Jason de la Fuente