Re: Test Environment

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 09:34:53 EST

In the past, I seldom had a real test environment. When we migrated
hardware, sometimes I was able to retain the old server(s) for testing, but
that was dependent on leasing considerations: I only got to keep the box if
it didn't cost anything!

Now, we're doing the same sort of thing - re-using old kit - but it's a much
bigger setup, so we have an entire test SP2, (well: a CWS and a couple of
nodes!). Plus I've got a 43P which although not strictly speaking a test
server, is only used by technical folk: mostly as a convenient CD drive,
(it's in our office: the nearest real servers are 40 miles away).

In the past I have found it very useful to have a test server. It's great
for training new staff, you can test OS fixes and upgrades in safety and it
allows you to try new things with confidence. However, particularly for a
small site I can understand why management wouldn't want to spend money on
it.

You might find it worthwhile looking at second-hand systems: a small server
such as a 43P or F50 would serve your needs, I should think, and might be
available quite cheaply. If you do look into this, then consider the
following points carefully:
Make sure it'll run AIX 5.2.
You'll need a backup device, if it doesn't already have an internal tape.
Being able to clone production systems is very useful, so if it's the same
as you use for your mksysbs then all the better.
If you want to do significant testing then it helps to have appropriate
devices. e.g. Additional storage, (of the same type you use on your
production systems, if possible); printers; modems; similar network
interfaces.
Give some thought to hardware maintenance. You won't need a high level of
service but you need to be able to get SOME maintenance.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.