Re: Admins to Boxes ratio

From: pSeries AIX Geek (aixgeek@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 11:42:29 EST

I supported an environment once where I had about 100
boxes worldwide. The remote sites had "UNIX" admins
who could do basic stuff (and the user management was
an NIS setup managed from a Sun, and so there were Sun
and HP admins who could do some stuff). I also was
able to get all the machines built and configured the
same way, so that saved me time.

I work now for an outsourcer with several AIX
customers, and have direct responsibility to 5 of
them, totalling perhaps 60 machines. That also
includes TSM, Shark, Candle, NetIQ, and some
EMC/Netbackup administration. The core of our team
has 6 guys, distributed between Ireland, India, and
the US. But -- note that we have to get involved in
weekly change control meetings (for each data center
and each customer), customer RFP work, planning new
customer migrations, performance reporting,
enhancements, etc. Generally speaking, our customers
do NOT have AIX admins local (so we do a LOT of
customer-facing work). [And you can't believe how
many hours are spent on non-technical work.]

One of the other AIX teams has four primary customers,
and they total approximately 80 machines. They too do
TSM and Shark and Candle support (we help each other
out). Their core is probably 8 people at the moment,
distributed between the US, Mexico, Ireland, and
India. We also have an extensive operations staff who
do monitoring, open tickets, etc.

Depending on one's skill level, you'll find admins
working on a lot of non-AIX activity, but I think I
see about 10 machines per FTE. That may be low
compared to other places. Personally, I'd expect a
senior AIX admin to be able to handle about 20 AIX
machines himself, at a minimum (depending on a lot of
factors). I think that if you work in a
follow-the-sun environment, you need to have a MINIMUM
of three admins in each rotation (for my situation, I
consider Mexico and the US jointly as a rotation).

My suggestion is to start documenting the number of
hours spent on break-fix activity, basic user mgmt,
enhancement planning, new projects, performance, etc.
(think of all the major tasks in your job
description). Also include time for training and
vacation and sudden emergencies. Then you'll be able
to better approach your boss with hard data.

- pAG