Re: Admins to Boxes ratio

From: Lieberg, Patrick (plieberg@EV3.NET)
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 10:35:09 EST

I think its safe to say, it depends on environment and the admins involved. I've worked in a setting where I was the sole admin for 40+ boxes in various parts of the country. The applications involved were highly unstable (ie poorly developed) and as such I spent alot of time putting out fires. I was highly over-worked in that scenario. However, if the applications in question had been stable requiring less of my time, supporting that many boxes wouldn't have been an issue.

If you are putting in too much overtime trying to keep everything up and running and projects moving along and your boss is happy with your abilities then that's what you need to bring to his attention. If he wants one admin only but that admin works 60-70 hours a week until they go insane and quit, that's not a good scenario for the company.

As others mentioned as well, its important to have someone to back you up when vacation time comes or you have some sort of other more unfortunate absence.