Re: DST Changes

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2004 - 05:05:29 EST

In fact, doing it that way is much more trouble and much more dangerous!

In the spring, there's not really a big problem. You can simply set the
clock forward. You might not even need to shutdown the applications, but
that will depend on them: some of them might take exception to a sudden leap
forward.

In the Autumn you need to shutdown your applications for at least an hour,
so that there is no danger of over-lapping timestamps on database recovery
logs. If you just set TZ correctly this wouldn't be a problem, because the
system clock would always be running in CUT.

In both cases, you have the same issues with plain-text logs' timestamps and
with scheduling as I mentioned before.

I would recommend getting TZ set correctly. It'll be better for your
applications and a lot less hassle for you!

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.