Re: DST Changes

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Wed Feb 25 2004 - 12:18:32 EST

Provided your Timezone is set correctly, (TZ in /etc/environment) there
should not be any problem and there is no need to take any further action.
It's worth remembering that ideally you should re-boot your system if you
have to make a change to TZ, but it's not always strictly necessary: I made
a lot of changes recently and all I've done is restart the cron daemon and
ensure that the applications, (mostly SAP and Data Warehouse systems) are
re-started - not actually a full reboot of the systems.

Any half-way decent application will use the actual system clock for
critical things like database log timestamps, so there is no problem there.

It's possible that you'll see overlapping time-stamps in text logs, but that
won't do any harm in itself. Technical personnel should be aware of it.

Scheduling - through crontab or actual scheduling packages - may have some
issues, with jobs getting missed in the spring, or running twice in the
autumn. However, that's highly dependent on the particular scheduling
system. Crontab's very basic, obviously, but a good scheduler should handle
the situation cleanly.

Personally, I haven't taken any special actions for DST in several years.
We did have some problems last autumn because TZ was not identical on all of
our servers, in particular there were difference between some SAP
Application servers and their Database servers. This arose because of
differences in when the time change occurred:-

Some of the servers had TZ=CET-1CEST,M3.5.0/02,M10.5.0/03, others only had
CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0. In the second case, the time for the change
defaults to the US standard, which is 2am local time in both cases. In
Europe, the standard is for 01:00 GMT, which equates to 02:00 CET in the
spring, or 03:00 CET in the autumn.

In fact, this doesn't really matter very much in most cases, provided you
are consistent.

The correct TZ for the UK is "GMT0BST,M3.5.0/01,M10.5.0/02". You can either
edit /etc/environment, or use the chtz command.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.