Re: External swap

From: Jason delaFuente (jason.delafuente@GBE.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 11:46:16 EST

I was trying to do the BOS load directly from the BOS CD's. I will update one of my NIM spots with the proper ESS software and try that way. Thanks!

FYI...Yes the HBA and System firmware is up to date.

Jason de la Fuente

>>> RyeR@SCHNEIDER.COM 02/12/04 10:21AM >>>
We fibre boot off EMC Symm's & EMC Clariion's, and we ran into a similar
problem for BOS installs directly onto SAN storage. We utilize NIM to do a
network boot and install the appropriate storage drivers/ODM updates into
the SPOT image to support seeing the SAN drives correctly during the
install. I am not that familiar with Shark storage so I am not sure if you
need to add drivers/ODM updates to recognize the SAN storage correctly.

I am also assuming that have the correct level of firmware on your HBA's to
support fibre SAN booting.

Ralph

                      Jason delaFuente
                      <jason.delafuente To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      @GBE.COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Fax to:
                      Discussion List Subject: Re: External swap
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      02/12/2004 09:12
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

I have a question related to this. We are running a Fiber Channel SAN.
When we setup our already running system to run/boot from ESS disks I just
used alternate_disk_install to clone the rootvg onto the SAN disks and then
rebooted. Everything worked fine. When I tried to do an initial BOS
install onto Shark disks I can see the drives on the installation screens
but they are not recognized as bootable. As a result I keep getting a
message stating that "At least one bootable drive must be selected". Has
anyone else run into this issue?

Jason de la Fuente

>>> BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM 02/11/04 09:53AM >>>
Anyone out there using swap space on an ESS ?

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax