Re: External swap

From: Ralph R. Rye (RyeR@SCHNEIDER.COM)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 11:21:05 EST

We fibre boot off EMC Symm's & EMC Clariion's, and we ran into a similar
problem for BOS installs directly onto SAN storage. We utilize NIM to do a
network boot and install the appropriate storage drivers/ODM updates into
the SPOT image to support seeing the SAN drives correctly during the
install. I am not that familiar with Shark storage so I am not sure if you
need to add drivers/ODM updates to recognize the SAN storage correctly.

I am also assuming that have the correct level of firmware on your HBA's to
support fibre SAN booting.

Ralph

                      Jason delaFuente
                      <jason.delafuente To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      @GBE.COM> cc:
                      Sent by: IBM AIX Fax to:
                      Discussion List Subject: Re: External swap
                      <aix-l@Princeton.

                      02/12/2004 09:12
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

I have a question related to this. We are running a Fiber Channel SAN.
When we setup our already running system to run/boot from ESS disks I just
used alternate_disk_install to clone the rootvg onto the SAN disks and then
rebooted. Everything worked fine. When I tried to do an initial BOS
install onto Shark disks I can see the drives on the installation screens
but they are not recognized as bootable. As a result I keep getting a
message stating that "At least one bootable drive must be selected". Has
anyone else run into this issue?

Jason de la Fuente

>>> BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM 02/11/04 09:53AM >>>
Anyone out there using swap space on an ESS ?

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax