Re: Websphere root access

From: Aaron W Morris (aaronmorris@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: Sat Jan 31 2004 - 01:19:11 EST

Miller, Dave (I.S.) wrote:
> Does anyone know where there is documentation on installin/configuring
> WebSphere App Server (5.x) so it does not need to be administered
> (stopped/started etc.) by root? Thanks.

I'm sure the documentation says this (with more verbosity) but all you
need to do is chown all the files under the WAS install dir to the user
you wish to run everything as and start WAS with that user. By default,
no priviliged ports are used (unlike WAS4) so nothing needs to be done
there.

I just performed that operation on a Linux testbed in less than 5
minutes and it works perfectly. Of course, you should read the docs,
too. YMMV

On the lighter side...

Do not think I went to all the trouble of screwing up my testbed for
you. I am going to be doing the same thing soon and wanted to see if it
would work. I just needed someone to blame if I had to recreate my
testbed. :-)