Re: p650 internal disks

From: John F Riordan (jriorda2@CSC.COM)
Date: Wed Jan 28 2004 - 08:56:43 EST

Hello Holger,

I just wanted you to know how my p650 came from IBM. It does sound like
you are describing.

Drawer:7038-6M2* --U0.1 (my internal bus)

I too have two SCSI Bus Controllers. One is in use with the two internal
disks as mirrored rootvg.

Slot _4 in Drawer U0.1 is an unused SCSI controller.

Hope this helps.

John

John Riordan
Unix Systems Administrator
CSC / Bath Iron Works
Bath, Maine
jriorda2@csc.com
207.442.1094

for such purpose.

                      Holger.VanKoll
                      @SWISSCOM.COM To: aix-l@Princeton.EDU
                      Sent by: IBM AIX cc:
                      Discussion List Subject: p650 internal disks
                      <aix-l

                      01/28/2004 08:22
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to IBM AIX
                      Discussion List

Hello,

a p650 has 2 internal scsi-controller.

I noticed that on all of my p650 the 2 internal disks (rootvg) are
connected to the same controller. Nothing is connected to the 2nd
controller.

If there are external (non ssa, non san) disks, there is a 3rd and 4th
scsi-controller to which the disks are connected to.

I see no point in connecting both rootvg-disks to the same controller as
long there is an unused 2nd controller; neither regarding availability nor
performance.

But I dont know if this setup is shipped from IBM like this or if it is
done somewhere @ ibm in my country.

So, could you please tell me if your p650 have the same setup?

If anybody got an idea about any advantage with this setup, please let me
know.

Regards,

Holger