Probing mountd on another machine

From: Hambleton, John S. (jhamblet@NMU.EDU)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2004 - 11:10:43 EST

Hello Folks:

I was wondering if anybody can tell me what's going on with the following:
I have an AIX box and Linux box on the same network switch. The AIX box
has been around awhile and the Linux box is fairly new. After a reboot of
the AIX box, I notice messages in my Linux box logs of the nature:
portmap[31218]: connect from xxx.xxx.xxx.x to callit(mountd): request from
unauthorized host
Where xxx.xxx.xxx.x is my AIX box. Looks like that upon bootup of my
AIX box, a probe is taking place of other machines in the vicinity.

I am wondering what's causing such a probe of other machines and how I
might configure whatever is doing it, to stop doing it.

Many thanks
JH

+ John S. "Dilbert" Hambleton
+ Olson Library
+ Northern Michigan University
+ Marquette Michigan 49855
+
+ Phone: 906-227-2741
+ E-Mail: JHAMBLET@NMU.EDU
+
+ Ab alio expectes, alteri quod feceris.
+