Problems with automounter between AIX5.2 and 4.3.3

From: Robert Miller (rmiller@SMUD.ORG)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 13:35:53 EST

Folks,

Hoping someone has seen this before, I looked through the archives and only found one person who reported seeing it, and they never seemed to receive an answer...

The problem I'm seeing is that host A is running 4.3.3 ML10, and has multiple directories exported in /etc/exports:

/foo
/foo/bar
/foo/bar/bar2.0
... etc.

Just set up a new p615 with AIX5.2, call it host B, and it can get to /foo, and even /foo/bar... but not /foo/bar/bar2.0. I can see the higher level directories, but once I get to a certain level, I no longer see anything in the directory listing. Any and all AIX 4.3 hosts can see the files and directories there just fine, all the way down the path.

I have gotten around this problem by running the following for starting up the automounter on host B (the 5.2 box):

export COMPAT_AUTOMOUNT=1
/usr/sbin/automount -D OSV=AIX -f /etc/auto_master

This seems to work, box B can see everything box A is exporting now... but I'd really rather prefer to run the automounter on 5.2 using src.

Has anyone seen this problem, and/or know of a fix for it?

TIA...

--rm