Re: A (very) basic question, sorry

From: Bob Booth - UIUC (booth@UIUC.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 23 2004 - 11:48:18 EST

It is an 'electronic' mode switch which you access as the system powers up.

In most cases, you hit the F1 key or the 1 key (depending on the type of
console you have), after the 'keyboard' symbol is displayed on the console.
This will get you to a console service mode menu.

You will be able to change the boot list from that menu, or change the
electronic mode switch to service. Normally, you just tell it where to
boot from ie: CDROM, network, tape, etc.

Check the system users guide for details on how to access this mode for your
particular system.

hope this helps.

bob