Antw: Re: p670 HMC console problem

From: Dieter Zavelberg (dieter.zavelberg@POSTBANK.DE)
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 02:49:26 EST

.. not only; the network connection is used for Inventory Scout, Service Agent, SFP.
DLPAR business only works with a network connection.

see
page 310 of Redbook sg24-7038-00
                    "Effective System Management Using the
                     IBM Hardware Management Console for pSeries"
Appropriate network configuration
To prevent problems with DLPAR operations on the HMC, as well as the
Inventory Scout, Service Agent, and Service Focal Point, you should view the
Ethernet network between the HMC and partitions as a mandatory administrative
network used for these purposes. This network can be considered equivalent to
the SP Ethernet network used in the RS/6000 SP environment.
With careful network planning, you should not have any problems using these
applications; however, if an AIX administrator mistakenly changes the TCP/IP
configuration on a partition without notifying the HMC administrator, it might
result in severe communication problems.
Authentication mechanism
The Service Focal Point and DLPAR functions rely on the Resource Monitoring
and Control (RMC) framework between the HMC and partitions. The RMC
framework performs not only session management, but also authentication
between network peers.
<snip>

>>> BVerzal@KOMATSUNA.COM 21.01.04 17:15:09 >>>

Well, the HMC communicates across ther serial connection, so the IP address
should not matter.
Perhaps it is a problem with the node ?

BV

"If everything is coming your way, then you are in the wrong lane"

Bill Verzal
AIX Administrator, Komatsu America
(847) 970-3726 - direct
(847) 970-4184 - fax

             Drew Myers
             <myersd@VANGUARDC
             AR.COM> To
             Sent by: IBM AIX aix-l@Princeton.EDU
             Discussion List cc
             <aix-l@Princeton.
             EDU> Subject
                                       p670 HMC console problem

             01/21/2004 09:59
             AM

             Please respond to
                  IBM AIX
              Discussion List
             <aix-l@Princeton.

Morning all.

Due to a recent move of a p670, I've been tasked with changing IP
addresses, hostname, etc. However, when I attempt to access one LPAR
from the HMC I get nothing but a blank screen. I can access the other
LPAR (there are only 2) from the HMC as normal. Both LPARs were
accessible prior to the move.

I checked the SMS option, to ensure Console is enabled. Anything else I
can check?

Thanks,

Drew