Re: Solaris9 and AIX5

From: Marcelino Mata (mmata@MULTIMATIC.COM)
Date: Fri Jan 16 2004 - 15:02:34 EST

Thersa.

I have AIX and Solaris servers and clients and I can not really say Solaris
is worse. It really depends on your application. I can tell you things I
like about both. In my company, purchase cost is bottom line so Solaris
servers win. Even if Solaris involved more admin time they would not
care...they would tell me that's what I'm paid for. AIX wins out in Admin
tools (SMIT). I have not found anything on Sun as good but I'm a old time
SUN Admin so I have not looked very hard since I know the commands I need.
Solaris GUI Admin tools usually consist of many different tools unlike the
one stop SMIT tool. In this regard, Solaris has a longer learning curve.
But this still depends on your applications. In my case, once the Solaris
server/client is setup I never touch them again (same as AIX).

Marcelino