Re: What's wrong with autonegotiate

From: Peter McKay (Peter.McKay@INFINITY.CO.NZ)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 17:03:35 EST

Good people,

In every instance where Auto negotiate has been set in the environments that I have been involved with, there have been major problems with network reliability. In EVERY case (whether the switches were Cisco, 3COM, D-Link, or NetGear) turning off auto negotiate for 10/100 connections and forcing 100/Full for ALL servers regardless on OS is the only way to ensure a stress free life. My standard AIX build documentation states that the ethernet cards are fixed at the desired speeds (except Gb) as the first step after the OS installation and before applying patches and connecting to a LAN.

My understanding (maybe a networking GURU can confirm or elaborate) is that the standards for auto negotiation of 10/100 LAN's are quite loose in the way that they have been applied. And that every vendor "improves" their switches/LAN cards and the result is that the standards are broken.

To summarise:

        Servers (All OS's): Fix the ethernet speed!
        Administration Workstations: Fix the ethernet speed!
        Print Servers: Auto negotiate!
        Workstations: Auto negotiate!

The goals are twofold:

        (1) Make the server connections reliable/fast
        (2) Make the LAN/WAN administration simple

As usual named brands (Cisco, 3COM etc) are the best to choose, however piloting the environment is crucial in EVERY case. Where possible standardise on ONE vendor!

Kind regards,

Peter McKay
Technical Consultant

Infinity Solutions Ltd