Re: What's wrong with autonegotiate

From: Barnhart, Troy (TBarnhart@RCRH.ORG)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 12:24:59 EST

I can speak directly to this as we are in the process of moving off
Enterasys in the Server room and the Wireclosets around the hospital.

Specifically, We are moving from Enterasys 9000's to Cisco 6500's in
the Server room. We have the autonegotiate problem on both types of switches.

(You know it's big out on the floors, when the secretaries on "Mahogany Row"
are makin' finger-pistols at the IS department employees...)

The newer Gigabit switches are working fairly well for Autonegotiate -
but in certain cases we are still hardcoding the 100Full.

We were (up until this past 6-8 months) an HP/Compaq shop - for both desktops
and servers (with a few AIX servers.) The problems came to our attention when
started our W2k to the desktops migration. Now, due to the HPaq changes, we're
changing to a full-IBM shop. And due to the move to Gigabit, we're changing over
to full-Cisco network.

fyi,
troy

Troy Barnhart, Sr. Systems Programmer,