Re: "Fragmented memory"

From: John Jolet (john.jolet@FXFN.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 10:19:25 EST

I'm no expert, but i've been running aix for 7 years or so and have
never heard of that. We have servers running upwards of 360 days uptime
(we're talking major oracle transaction loads here). memory is
constantly being used and re-allocated. I'm sure there are flags to
vmstat that will give you the information you're looking for, but in my
experience, people who are rebooting aix servers, without there being a
demonstrated memory leak (usually in an application) are applying rules
of thumb that are needed for less capable operating systems. periodic
reboots of aix are NOT needed, unless you have poorly performing
applications, and then, just restart the app.

I guess what i'm trying to say is, you WILL see "fragmented"
memory....but so what? if you have a problem, it's not because of
fragmented memory. unless maybe you are EXTREMELY low on memory?