Re: "Fragmented memory"

From: Hunter, Mark (Mark.Hunter@ANHEUSER-BUSCH.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 13 2004 - 10:15:13 EST

Doesn't really apply with virtual memory. No memory is specifically allocated
permanently for a specific purpose, except some of the kernel. A "snapshot" of
memory isn't really that useful. Memory gets loaded and reloaded a lot - see
the paging algorithm.

Even on a "fresh" system, you are not guarenteed contigous memory allocation.

If you think, for some reason, you are having memory constraint issues, I would
look at /usr/samples/kernel/vmtune. Changing min{perm/client} and
max{perm/client} are more likely to help than a reboot would.

We run with 10/40 min/max perm on non database boxes and 5/20 min/max on
database boxes.

Mark Hunter