Re: defragfs command

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 11:56:34 EST

No: they are different.

reorgvg will re-locate physical partitions but the content of those
partitions remains unchanged, so the filesystem may still be badly
fragmented.
defragfs moves filesystem blocks so that free space is logically contiguous.

Both commands may be run whilst the filesystem is in use. They can take a
long time for large filesystems and there may be some performance impact,
depending on how much I/O activity is going on and on the I/O capacity of
your system.

Altria ITSC Europe Ltd
AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html
New to AIX? http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.nsf/portals/UNIX
N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.