Increased memory usage with AIX 5.1.

From: James Jackson (James.Jackson@MAIL.STATE.AR.US)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 14:33:17 EST

I recently upgraded an Oracle transactional database server from AIX
4.3.3 to AIX 5.1 ML5. After the migration, the size of each Oracle user
process increased by over 1 MB, which has translated into an additional
memory load of 300-500 MB depending on the number of client connections.
My already memory-starved server has begun to page liberally on AIX 5.1,
though I was able to manage and prevent paging on AIX 4.3.3 with vmtune.
Oracle and IBM have identified a "feature" of IBM's C compiler that
causes CONST data to be loaded to the RW (unshared data) section of a
process's rather than the RO (shared text) section. IBM has developed a
fix for AIX 5.2 only, and they have no plans to backport the fix to AIX
5.1. I've not yet received an explanation from IBM regarding what
changed in the compiler and O/S between 4.3.3 and 5.1, but I hope to
soon.

Has anyone else observed this increase in memory consumption on AIX 5.1?
Does anyone else have a PMR open with IBM?

Thanks,

James Jackson
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems
IBM pSeries and AIX Support - Arkansas DHS/OST

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email message
and any attachment(s) is the property of the State of Arkansas and may
be protected by state and federal laws governing disclosure of private
information. It is intended solely for the use of the entity to whom
this email is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that reading, copying or distribution of this
transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. The sender has not waived any
applicable privilege by sending the accompanying transmission. If you
have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete the message and attachment(s) from your system.