Re: p670

From: Mike Viscount (mikev@EMAIL.UNC.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 08:36:02 EST

Even though it's listed as a "CE" task I don't think it voids the warranty but
rather makes it possible for you to have them do it without being charged. But
**you should verify this** by checking the warranty or having the CE provide a
copy of it or the relevant parts of it. I think your CE is just trying to
reserve all the fun of screwing up your machine for himself :-)

Regarding microcode: It's available in the standard microcode dowload site at
IBM, at least for the P690 model 671 and 681 which I just downloaded the other
day since our CE's floppies were bad and the IBM site they use to make the
floppies was having problems. If necesary I can track down the URL but it's
easily found by following the links under the RS6000 server support/downloads
... etc; Well, as easy as it is to find anything on IBM's website at least :-(

Oh heck, here it is:
   http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/server/mdownload/download.html

Scroll down to the micro-code for 7040-681 and 7040-671 but be careful as there
are Version 2 and Version 3 microcode there. See the Description file to verify
what you need. It also contains a listing of what's been fixed/broken at the
various levels.

Again, I'd suggest that you verify the warranty info on your own.

I hope this helps,

Mike