Re: raid 0 verses raid 1

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 10:29:03 EST

Whether you get better performance will depend on the type of access.
Mirroring can give you better performance for some RO operations, but I
guess that a temporary tablespace is going to have a lot of RW.

Striping gives good performance for pure sequential I/O. There's no
difference for random direct access. It can be worse for non-random direct
access - where records are clustered - and for skip-sequential access.

The access to a temporary tablespace is going to depend a lot on exactly
what your application's doing. My instinct would be that striping would
help, because it'll be doing stuff like building a temporary table as an
intermediate of some query, then reading that sequentially. Both the build
and the read could be sequential operations.

Using a 6230 with fast-write cache, you may not notice any difference unless
there's a lot of activity. So although it's nice to get things right, this
doesn't sound to me like the sort of thing that's worth spending a lot of
time on unless it's already looking like a performance bottleneck.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.