Re: Daylight Saving

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Mon Jan 05 2004 - 06:26:37 EST

I guess you're in somewhere like India, which doesn't operate Daylight
Saving Time.

DST originated in the more northerly-latitudes of Europe, where there can be
a significant difference in the duration of daylight between summer and
winter. The objective is to make that daylight more available to use. So
in the spring, the clock moves forwards one hour and then in the autumn it
moves back to normal.

It's a relatively recent (1916) innovation from the UK. Countries not
sharing a European heritage, and those nearer to the equator would have less
interest in DST, but it operates quite widely throughout the year.

This web page...
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/info/daylightsaving.htm
...has some information on daylight savings time.

Provided the TZ environment variable is set correctly, AIX handles the time
change very nicely. It's worth remembering, though, that the AIX defaults
relate to the USA: these are not appropriate for Europe and much of the rest
of the world.

Speaking as a Cahoot customer, I'd be grateful if you got it right. :-)

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.