Re: dumpcheck...copy directory too small

From: Green, Simon (Simon.Green@EU.ALTRIA.COM)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2003 - 11:49:24 EST

I believe that you're mistaken. When a dump is written to a
paging space, it just splats right over the top of it. Perhaps
dumpcheck doesn't realise this, and is reporting incorrectly.

The dump size increased with migration from 4.3 to 5L, just
because there are more modules, taking up more space. One also
finds that the estimated dump size - syusdumpdev -e - tends to
increase over time as more programs get loaded into memory.
Eventually it stabilises but it can take several days or even
weeks, depending on the particular work load on the system.

For some time now I've relied on dedicated dump devices - good
old /dev/hd7! With the size of internal disks in newer systems
there is no difficulty allocating a few hundred MB for this and
it's much more convenient than a paging space because you can
immediately re-boot your system without losing the dump.
On systems with a mirrored rootvg, I have hd7 and hd7a (or
similar), allocated as primary and secondary dump devices.

Simon Green
Altria ITSC Europe Ltd

AIX-L Archive at https://new-lists.princeton.edu/listserv/aix-l.html

N.B. Unsolicited email from vendors will not be appreciated.
Please post all follow-ups to the list.