Re: Strategies for effective partitioning of p690.

From: Holger.VanKoll@SWISSCOM.COM
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 05:57:36 EST

I would use wlm only if necessary - additional complexity and
performance-problems are harder to debug.
If you need it to regulate only cpu, however, its fine.

And I would never mix batch-oriented (regarding io) and
small-responsetime oriented programs (short queries from users).

A bigger partition has advantages - if one application doesnt need "its"
cpu, the other can use it. same for filecaching.
But especially for filecaching batch-oriented applications will push ot
the file-cache of interactive ones.
I had this once and had to split the servers - as it was 4.3.3 and you
have no way of controlling filecache there (mount -dio etc.)

Also, bigger partitions might continue to run if a cpu goes bad - a
one-cpu partition will stop.
And you save io-adapters in most cases - network, san. For 4 partitions,
you need 4x2 san-adapters - for 1 big partitions only 2 or 4. Same for
internal disks - 2 disks for each partition.

Small partitions have the advantage that running software doesnt hurt
each other.

Its too hard to say what will be better.
Anyway, I would never buy a p690 to create small 1-cpu partitions -
thats simply more than double as much $ as to buy p630 or p650.